As a student, you get access to one of the most comprehensive optometric clinical systems in the country.
The NECO clinical network includes collaborative relationships and clinical affiliations with sites throughout the Greater Boston area, nationally, and internationally.
The extensive network provides students exposure to a greater variety of systemic diseases, disabilities, and socio-economic barriers than if training in one eye center. And, you’ll experience a unique multidisciplinary model where you’ll be a part of the patient’s healthcare team, collaborating with primary care doctors, ophthalmologists, pediatricians, and other providers.
NECO Center for Eye Care
The NECO Center for Eye Care is one of the most comprehensive eye centers in New England. It provides students the chance to learn from experts in our specialty clinics including:
- Cornea and Contact Lenses
- Dry Eye
- Low Vision
- Myopia Control
- Pediatric Eye Care
- Vision Therapy
For rotations and your fourth year externships, the NECO clinical network offers unique experiences. Many students experience a new view of optometry, the healthcare system, and the opportunities to practice in different settings.
- Community health centers
- Academic medical centers
- VA Medical Centers
- Army & Naval Health Clinics
- Private and group OD practices
- MD/OD group practices
- Canadian eye clinics
- Indian Health Service
- School-based programs
- Individuals with disabilities
- Eye care for the homeless
Community Outreach Collaborations
NECO is committed to providing access to high-quality, convenient, and affordable eye care throughout the community. NECO students help provide advanced eye and vision services, along with other coordinated health services, for special populations including children, older adults, those with low vision, the homeless, and individuals with disabilities. The goal is to provide services for the whole community, including underserved populations. Our specialty collaborations include:
- Perkins School for the Blind and NECO low vision clinic
- Cotting School
- ABCD HeadStart
- NECO Center for Eye Care Southeastern Massachusetts
- New England Eye at MAB in Worcester
- The Carroll Center for the Blind
- Boston Public Schools Screening Program
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston
- Preschool Programs in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Revere, Lynn, and Lowell
- Pine Street Inn
- Barbara McGinnis House
- Jean Yawkey Place
Community Health Centers
For 50 years, our faculty and student interns have proudly provided comprehensive eye care for communities throughout Massachusetts. Our optometrists practice in a collaborative health care model to optimize a patient’s well-being, as they train tomorrow’s optometrists to care for their communities and advocate for healthcare equity.
- Charles River Community Health mission is to improve the health and well-being of the communities of Allston, Brighton, Waltham and surrounding areas by providing quality, comprehensive, coordinated care that is patient-centered, family friendly, and community focused. Since its opening in 1974, it has remained true to its mission and has evolved to reflect the needs of its patients and of surrounding communities. CRCH contracts with NECO for our faculty and students to fully operate the Optometry department.
- The Dimock Center founded in 1862 as the New England Hospital for Women and Children, was the first hospital in New England opened and operated by women for women. The Dimock Center provides over 19,000 people annually with convenient access to high quality, low cost health care and human services. The health services program delivers comprehensive health care for adults and children with specialized clinics, including Women’s Health and OB/GYN, HIV/AIDs, eye care, and dental care. The Dimock Center was one of the first two sites to partner with NECO in 1972, and are contracted for our faculty and students to fully operate the Optometry department.
- Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) is a non-profit, multicultural, community health center. LCHC uses an innovative, integrative care model called a patient-centered medical home, which is designed to respect each patient’s unique needs. They are committed to social justice and reducing barriers to care. The staff reflects the diversity within the community and the health center provides care in many languages and with respect for all cultures. LCHC partners with NECO for our faculty and students to fully operate the Optometry department.
- Martha Eliot Health Center (Boston Children’s Hospital) For more than 50 years, Boston Children’s Hospital has operated the Martha Eliot Health Center site located in the vibrant Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. Boston Children’s Hospital at Martha Eliot has provided health care and improved the health of countless children and young adults. At Martha Eliot, they embrace the concept of a patient-centered medical home, which means that they deliver care based on each child’s distinct needs. Boston Children’s partners with NECO for our faculty and students to fully operate the Optometry department.
- Holyoke Health Center (HHC) is a Federally-Qualified Community Health Center located in Holyoke, Massachusetts, with additional locations throughout Hampden County. They have been providing low cost medical, dental, and pharmaceutical services in both English and Spanish to the Holyoke, Chicopee, and surrounding communities for over 50 years. They strongly believe that every person deserves high quality healthcare, and are committed to developing resources with their partners, the state and federal government, and community members to deliver that mission. HHC partners with NECO for our faculty and students to operate their Vision Center.
- North End Waterfront Health is a federally qualified health center and an affiliate of Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Medical Center. North End Waterfront Health extends its world-renowned healthcare services to people who live and work in and around Boston’s North End and Charlestown neighborhoods. By working closely with schools, senior centers, and many other organizations, they’ve shaped their services to truly benefit the community’s diverse population. They partner with NECO for our faculty and students to operate their Optometry department in their North End and Charlestown locations.
- South Boston Community Health Center (SBCHC) has been providing world-class health care for over 40 years in South Boston. Their services include Adult Medicine, Pediatrics and Family Medicine as well as Dental, Optometry and a brand new Pharmacy. They also offer many specialty services including Dermatology, Podiatry, Pulmonology, and Cardiology. They currently deliver these services from a beautiful two-building facility in the heart of the neighborhood. SBCHC partners with NECO for our faculty and clinical internship program to operate their Eye Care department.
- Codman Square Health Center (CSHC) is a community-based, outpatient health care and multi-service center that is federally qualified in the heart of Dorchester. They offer comprehensive care for the whole family, including primary, eye, dental, urgent, and behavioral health care, as well as many medical specialties. In addition, they are a community organization that provides financial and wellness programming. CSHC opened their doors in 1979 and grew from two-physician staff to a staff of more than 300 multi-lingual and multicultural expert clinicians, medical staff and employees. CHSC has partnered with NECO for our faculty and interns to be a part of their Eye Care department.
- East Boston Neighborhood Health Center (EBNHC) since its launch in 1970, the health center has operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Today they are the only health center in New England, and one of the few in the country, to provide continuous care. The health center grew rapidly to meet demand, as community members were finally able to receive quality medical care in their own neighborhood. They’ve expanded their scope and services, based on the needs of the community. EBNHC partners with NECO for our clinical internship program and our faculty.
- South End Community Health Center (SECHC) is a comprehensive health care organization for all residents of the South End and surrounding communities. They are committed to providing high-quality, coordinated health care that is culturally and linguistically sensitive to every patient. They provide comprehensive, coordinated care to everyone who walks in, including people living in public or assisted housing or experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity. The Human Rights Campaign has recognized SECHC as a “Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.” SECHC partners with NECO for our clinical internship program in their Optometry department.
- Manet Community Health Center has been serving the community since 1979 and has three locations in Quincy, one in Hull, Attleboro, and Taunton. Manet is a primary affiliation with Boston Medical Center Health System. Manet delivers care to more than 20,000 patients in over 74,900 annual visits (2020 UDS data), provides services that are reflective of the languages and cultures of the communities it serves and offers a full array of services and programs for infants, children, adolescents, adults, and seniors. Manet partners with NECO for our clinical internship program in their Optometry department.
- Lowell Community Health Center has served the communities of Greater Lowell since 1970. Health Center patients may choose a primary care physician, nurse practitioner, or certified nurse midwife from our team of board-certified medical providers. They integrate behavioral health services within primary care, and patients can schedule visits with certified mental health professionals. Their employees speak 28 different languages, and at least 40 staff are trained medical interpreters. LCHC partners with NECO for our clinical internship program in their Optometry department.
- Uphams Corner Health Center mission is to provide high quality, low cost, culturally sensitive, community-based health and social services to the residents of North Dorchester and adjacent neighborhoods. They provide personalized respectful care to patients of all ages right in your neighborhood. Upham’s Corner partners with NECO for our clinical internship program as part of their Optometry department.
- Dot House Health Center provides comprehensive primary care services with Adult, Family, Pediatrics and Women’s Health departments. The health center’s on-site Dental Care, Eye Care and Behavioral Health departments ensure that patients have convenient access to a full range of care. The health center is affiliated with Boston Medical Center and for over 125 years has established itself as an exceptional community resource and as a leader in the delivery of community healthcare. Dot House Health partners with NECO for our clinical internship program and our NECO residency program.
- Fenway Community Health Center advocates for and delivers innovative, equitable, accessible health care, supportive services, and transformative research and education. We center LGBTQIA+ people, BIPOC individuals, and other underserved communities to enable our local, national, and global neighbors to flourish. Fenway Health partners with NECO for our clinical internship program as part of their Optometry department.
- Greater Roslindale Medical and Dental Center is a nonprofit started by a group of local residents in 1975 in response to a lack of health services in their communities. In 1977 the health center opened its doors as the Greater Roslindale Medical and Dental Center, with a mission to offer accessible and affordable comprehensive primary care services to the residents of Roslindale, West Roxbury and Hyde Park. The GRMDC contracts with NECO to provide eye care to the Roslindale community.