Aurora Denial, OD, is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Clinical Education and Clinical Science at the New England College of Optometry. She has been a full-time faculty member at the College since 1997. Dr. Denial teaches and oversees in the Clinical Reasoning Course Sequence. She is also a clinical preceptor to 2nd, 3rd and final-year students. Between 2009 and 2023, Dr. Denial was the Editor of the Journal of Optometric Education.
Residency, New England College of Optometry
OD, New England College of Optometry
Areas of Expertise
Professional Honors & Awards
2023-2009 Editor, Journal of Optometric Education
2014 Diplomate in Optometric Education, American Academy of Optometry
2010 Dr. Lester Janoff Award for Excellence in Writing, ASCO
2008 Congressional Advocacy Award, American Optometric Association
2006 Dupuis-Pellerin Award for Faculty Excellence, NECO
2004 Faculty Merit Award, NECO
1998 Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
Beta Sigma Kappa Honor Society
Bernell Company Student Award for Outstanding Performance
NECO Center for Eye Care, Roslindale
American Academy of Optometry, Diplomat
American Optometric Association
Optometric Education; specifically, the teaching of critical thinking, clinical thinking, and faculty development.
Publications & Presentations
- Bastian D., Denial A.,” No Time to Finish” Optometric Education, Volume 46, Number 1, Fall, 2020.
- Denial A., Bastian D, Chu G and Moy A, Faculty Perceptions of the Impact of Electronic Medical and Health Records in Optometric Education in the United States and Puerto Rico, Optometric Education, Volume 43, Number 3, Summer, 2018.
- Carlson N, Denial A, Hyperopia and Presbyopia: A Teaching Case Report, Optometric Education, Volume 41, Number 2, Winter /Spring 2016.
- Kammer, R, Schreiner, L, Kim, Y. K, & Denial, A. (2015). The Validation of the Active Learning in Health Professions Scale. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 9(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/1541-5015.1504
- Denial A, Scholarly Productivity Related to Academic Rank in Optometric Faculty, Optometric Education, Volume 40, Number 1, Fall 2014.