The Specialty Services Patient Care Coordinator is a full-time position reporting to the Clinic Director and dotted line to the Patient Intake Manager. NECO Center for Eye Care seeks a fast paced and experienced professional with at least 4 years of related experience. The Specialty Services Patient Care Coordinator is a key member of the clinic operations team. The primary function of this position is to provide operational support for patient scheduling, patient communication, patient check in and check out, prior authorizations and insurance verification for services and patient follow-up care to ensure a smooth and efficient cycle of service. This individual supports three primary clinical specialties, including NECO’s myopia control clinic, low vision rehabilitation, and vision therapy.
As the Specialty Services Patient Care Coordinator, you will have a unique opportunity to apply your operational skills in providing critical and seamless support to a Clinical Team of Optometrists (OD’s) and student interns who provide comprehensive eye care within diverse and multicultural patient populations. You will also have meaningful opportunities to develop and integrate into the practice systems and operational tenets that ensure efficiency in providing care and examines the workings of NECO Center for Eye Care to offer solutions to problems and develops procedures for better decision-making. The candidate can expect to create systems that ensure best practices and focuses their work in the following areas:
Vision Rehabilitation Specialty Programs (includes low vision and vision therapy)
- Responsible for patient care coordination for Low Vision, Pediatric, and Vision Therapy Services
- Schedules and confirms appointments (and initiates recalls) to optimize patient flow.
- Coordinates with Clinical Education to ensure appropriate coverage and training for students.
- Gathers and inputs all information necessary about the patient and for purposes of billing
- Registers patients, obtains and verifies insurance information following proper protocols
- Communicates with patients according to the protocols developed by the ODs in each specialty area
- Addresses any questions and/or concerns patients may have about their care and services.
- Responsible for Patient check-in and check-out and collection of any co-payments, outstanding fees, etc.
- Works with providers to obtain prior authorization and works with Optical in securing low vision[NR2] and vision therapy materials and optical devices.
- Coordinates with Optical Service regarding status of low vision spectacle orders
- Serves as backup for half time Outreach Patient Care Coordinator.
- Management of invoices, orders and vendor relationships
- Coordination of referrals to the practice and from the practice to other community partners
Myopia Control Clinic
- Ensures proper systems are in place for efficient operation of the Myopia Control Clinic.
- Coordinates patient appointments and provider schedules and responds to inquiries for all components of the Myopia Control Clinic.
- Provides additional oversight for all conventional and specialty contact lens services.
- Works with billing to ensure submission of insurance claims, when appropriate, to vision service plans for eligible patients upon ordering of contact lens supplies and completion of contact lens fittings.
- Ensures contact lens, vision insurance, prior authorizations and insurance referrals are in place for Myopia Control Clinic contact lens patients.
- Bachelor’s or Medical Technician Degree
- A friendly professional demeanor and ability to excel in a collaborative environment
- Minimum of 4 years specific experience related to patient services preferably in an ophthalmic health care setting and/or experience assisting patients with disabilities.
- Familiarity with optical materials including contact lenses, low vision devices and optical vendors.
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast, paced changing environment.
- Contributes to a positive work climate and the overall team efforts of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Results oriented with ability to prioritize organizational objectives and meet deadlines.
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to navigate referral, insurance authorization, and billing disputes in a respectful and thoughtful manner
- Strong multi-tasking and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Willingness to be flexible with schedule
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with electronic health records and HIPAA regulations
- Ability to manage time effectively, set priorities and meet deadlines
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.