The New England College of Optometry (NECO) invites applications for the position of Senior Staff Accountant. Reporting to the Controller, this hands-on position will work with the Business Office staff in assuring the revenue and expenses of the College and its affiliate, the New England College of Optometry Center for Eye Care, are accounted for in a manner consistent with GAAP and College policies and procedures.
About the College and Center for Eye Care
The New England College of Optometry prepares the next generation of eye care providers, educators, and innovators through a rigorous curriculum and extensive clinical experience. NECO graduates compassionate and skilled optometrists prepared to practice in diverse settings. Located in the heart of Boston, the College is a small, independent graduate institution that has a student body of approximately 530 students from 34 states and 8 countries.The NECO Center for Eye Care is the patient care and clinical education affiliate of the New England College of Optometry. It is one of the largest providers of optometric services in Massachusetts with nearly 90,000 annual patient visits at more than 43 locations, including many of Greater Boston’s community health centers.
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for ensuring the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions. This position will work closely with the Controller, the Executive Director of Financial Operations, and other Business Office staff in all matters relating to the monthly and annual close processes and the annual budget process.
Principal Responsibilities - General Accounting
- Prepare and record asset, liability, revenue, and expense entries by compiling and analyzing account information
- Maintain and balance subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies
- Responsible for accounting for fixed assets, bank account reconciliations, shared responsibility for other balance sheet accounts
- Conduct monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance
- Analyze financial reports and budget to actual reports for discrepancies and variance analysis
- Improve systems for the maintenance of financial records, making use of current technologies
- Create forms and manuals for Business Office and College use
- Participate in the compilation and distribution of Business Office policies and procedures
- Assist with the annual audit process, working closely with internal constituents and external auditors
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
Principal Responsibilities - Budgeting
- Assist the Controller, Executive Director of Financial Operations, and CFO with developing annual operating and capital budgets, multi-year budget models for revenue and expense, and disseminating budget information to the College community
- Conduct budget to actual monthly reporting and variance analysis
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Professional integrity and ethical conduct
- Mastering time management
- Collaboration skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- 5+ years' experience in general accounting - higher education and fund accounting preferred
- Experience with computerized ledger systems
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to function well in a team-oriented environment
NECO is an AA/EEO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Salary and Benefits are competitive and will depend on experience and qualification. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to HRDepartment@neco.edu.