New England College of Optometry seeks a caring individual with excellent customer service skills and exceptional attention to detail to work at the front desk assisting patients. This position reports to the Patient Intake Manager of NECO Center for Eye Care, the affiliated clinical system of the New England College of Optometry, a professional graduate school in Boston’s Back Bay. This is a full time position at our 930 Commonwealth Avenue clinic location.
Following proper protocols, the Patient Services Representative - Registration and Front Desk perform the following essential duties:
- Answer incoming telephone calls, greet and check in/check out patients in a professional, courteous, and timely manner
- Schedule patients for appointments
- Greet and check out patients in a friendly manner during the time they are in the clinic
- Obtain, enter and verify insurance and demographics information
- Collect insurance copays or self-pay balances
- Review billing to ensure that appropriate procedures and diagnosis codes have been designated by provider
- Maintain patient records: organize paperwork,
- Prepare paperwork for next day, confirm appointments, reconcile cash box on a daily basis. Promote culturally competent care and proactively make provisions for linguistically competent care
- Respond to staff doctor needs before, during, and after patient exam
- Understand when and how to switch an appointment type and proactively seek referrals and prior authorizations, if needed
- Direct patients to optical shop
- This position works at computer station for extended periods of time
- Other duties as required
- At least one full year demonstrated experience in a customer service setting, preferably six months receptionist experience in a health care setting
- Knowledge of reception tasks, office policies/procedures, paperwork.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques
- High school diploma, Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to deal effectively and courteously with patients, families and co-workers
- Ability to manage patients who on occasion may be upset or angry
- Excellent typing and data entry skills (accuracy, comfort using technology, forms, pull down menus)
- Skill in customer service principles by creating a pleasant waiting room atmosphere
- Following the HIPAA guidelines exchange patient related information with a variety of clinic personnel.
- Skill in prioritizing and completing a heavy workload.
- Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the phone and establish/ maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, physicians, staff and other visitors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions in order to prepare medical records, collect payments and schedule appointments
- Ability to review and enter patient information accurately
- Ability and willingness to drive between locations (Commonwealth Ave. Boston and Washington Street, Roslindale)
- Must be reliable
- Ability to perform while under stress
- Must possess sufficient dexterity to perform the essential responsibilities.
This position is 40 hours per week, benefits eligible and will be scheduled according to clinic needs. Applicants must be able to work any of the shifts at the clinic, and occasional evening and Saturday availability is essential. On occasion, the Patient Services Representative - Registration and Front Desk may be expected to cover shifts at Roslindale Square clinic location.
This position will be required to work the following shifts:
Saturday 8:00-2:00 alternating Saturdays with Fridays off when working a Saturday
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.