Patient Care Coordination and Front Desk Operations Supervisor - Roslindale
New England College of Optometry seeks an individual with demonstrated experience supervising the front desk operations (patient check in and check out, insurance authorization, appointment scheduling and confirmation, and patient calls and services) for a thriving eye clinic. Superb attention to detail, cash reconciliation, excellent customer service skills and an in-depth understanding of patient coordination in a healthcare setting is critical.
This position reports to the Patient Intake Manager of NECO Center for Eye Care, the affiliated clinical system of the New England College of Optometry, a professional graduate school in Boston’s Back Bay. This is a full time position at our Washington Street, Roslindale clinic location.
Following proper protocols, the Patient Care Coordination and Front Desk Operations Supervisor will spend about 30% of his/her time on supervisory responsibilities (overseeing the work of two patient care coordinators at the front desk), and about 70% of his/her time also serving as a patient care coordinator at the front desk and setting the example of excellence for the team.
- Oversee operations and processes of all front desk activities at NECO Center for Care Roslindale;
- Works closely with clinical leadership team (patient intake manager, billing manager, practice director and primary care services director) to ensure cohesive communication with all staff to maintain patient flow and adherence to clinical policy and operations;
- Ensure quality improvement measures and best practices processes are in place for the front desk at Roslindale, particularly those involving entering patient demographic data, verbally confirming date of birth and insurance information at every appointment, confirming patient appointments before visits, scheduling to effectively adapt for “no show rates”, seeking prompt payment for co-pays and outstanding balances, and appropriately responding to phone calls, voice mails and questions about insurance;
- Ensure timely response to all voicemail messages daily;
- Ensure timely responose to all online appointment requests;
- Answer incoming telephone calls, greet and check in/check out patients in a professional, courteous, and timely manner;
- Schedule patients, obtain insurance information, collect insurance copays or self-pay balances;
- Review billing to ensure that appropriate procedures and diagnosis codes have been designated by provider;
- Enter and confirm patient demographic data in the electornic health record;
- Reconcile the receipt of any cash and check payments against the patient ledger (daily) and resolve any discrepancies; also responsible for ensuring accurate reconciliation of other patient care coordinators on the team;
- Work with billing team to confirm and prepare bank deposits and ensure seamless hand-off;
- Maintain patient records: organize paperwork, ensure reviewed charts are filed correctly;
- Update provider schedule and pull charts for scheduled patients for the next day;
- Promote culturally competent care and proactively make provisions for linguistically competent care;
- Respond to staff doctor needs before, during, and after patient exam;
- Understand when and how to switch an appointment type and proactively seek referrals and prior authorizations if needed;
- Ensure timely transition of patient by directing patients to optical shop;
- This position works at computer station for extended periods of time;
- Train new patient care coordinators and oversee the quality of work of existing patient care coordinators;
- Review cycle of service report (which identifies errors) with front desk patient care coordinators and identify corrective action;
- Resolve scheduling issues with the Patient Intake Manager to ensure the front desk is sufficiently staffed, particularly during vacation and/or sick times when people are out;
- Other duties as required
- 5 plus years of experience leading or supervising the front desk in a busy clinic or hospital setting
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent data entry skills
- Strong attention to detail is required
- Knowledge and use of electronic health records
- Knowledge of Google mail and Microsoft software applications
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
This position is 40 hours per week, benefits eligible and will be scheduled according to clinic and patient care needs. Applicants must be able to work any of the shifts at the clinic, and evening and Saturday availability is essential. On occasion, the Supervisor for Patient Care Coordination and Front Desk Operations may be expected to cover shifts at our Commonwealth Ave. Boston location.
Clinic / Office Hours
Monday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
For more information about employment, visit Employment Opportunities.