Dr. Kerber joined the NECO faculty in the fall of 2017 in the Department of Specialty and Advanced Care. She is one of the instructors in the Development, Strabismus and Amblyopia Course as well as the Pediatric Optometry Course. In addition, she is a lab instructor for Principles and Practice of Optometry 1.
Dr. Kerber earned a Bachelor of Science degree in neuroscience from Furman University (Greenville, SC) in 2012. She then went on to receive both a Master’s of Science in Vision Science and Doctor of Optometry from the New England College of Optometry in 2016. She completed the pediatric residency program at the college in 2017 for which she earned the Terrance N. Ingraham Pediatric Optometry Residency Award. She is an attending optometrist at the Dimock Community Health Center and works with first year NECO students at local Boston schools and Head Start Programs in the Pediatric Outreach Screening Program.
Her research interests include myopia control, pediatric vision screening in children from birth to three years of age, and hyperopia in preschoolers.
Featured Publications and Presentations:
- Kerber, KL, Gowrisankaran, S, Raghuram, A. “Clinical and objective measures of accommodation in children with dyslexia.” Poster session presented at: 96th AAO Annual Meeting; 2017 Oct 11-13; Chicago, Illinois.
- Kerber, KL, Gowrisankaran, S, Swanson, EA, Weber, D, Raghuram, A. “Ocular accommodation deficits and near work associated symptoms in children with dyslexia.” Poster session presented at: ARVO Annual Meeting; 2017 May 7-11; Baltimore, Maryland
- Kerber K, Kran B. “CVI Status Post Rare Neonatal Thalamic Stroke.” Paper presented at: 95th AAO Annual Meeting; 2016 Nov 9-12; Anaheim, California.
- Kerber KL, Thorn F, Bex PJ, Vera-Diaz FA. “Peripheral contrast sensitivity and attention in myopia.” Vision Res. Aug 2016. 125:49-54.
- Kerber K, Maiello, G, Thorn F, Bex JP, Vera-Diaz FA. “Myopes’ Ability to Accurately Accommodate to Blur Cues in Virtual 3D Images.” Poster session presented at: ARVO Annual Meeting; 2015 May 3-7; Denver, Colorado.
- Vera-Diaz FA, Maiello, G, Kerber K, Thorn F, Bex JP. “Myopes’ Ability to Discriminate and Detect Blur.” Poster session presented at: ARVO Annual Meeting; 2015 May 3-7; Denver, Colorado.
- Kerber K, Bex JP, Vera-Diaz FA. “Peripheral Awareness and the Effect of Central Attentional Load in Myopia.” Poster session presented at: 93rd AAO Annual Meeting; 2014 Nov 12-15; Denver, Colorado.
- Vera-Diaz FA, Kerber KL, Thorn F, Bex PJ. “Peripheral Awareness and Attention in Myopia.” Poster session presented at: 14th International Myopia Conference; 2013 Aug; Asilomar, California.