The Advanced Standing International Program is designed for international optometrists who are pursuing a US doctor of optometry degree.
Application Information for ASIP
Applicants to the ASIP must have graduated and received a bachelor's degree in optometry from an accredited recognized international optometric school.
All application and required credentials/application requirements (transcripts, test scores, etc.) must be completed and received by the Office of Admissions on or before September 15.
Applicants are invited for interviews on an individual basis, after all parts of the ASIP application have been submitted. In most cases, an interview is required for admission to the program. When the applicant is unable to come to the College for an interview, a phone call or Internet-based video interview may be substituted in its place. All invitations for interviews will be handled by the NECO Office of Admissions.
Applicants to the program will receive decision letters by the end of January.
1. ASIP Application Form
You may download the ASIP Application Form. Please send completed applications to: New England College of Optometry Attention: Audrey Burgess, Office of Admissions 424 Beacon Street Boston, MA 02115 firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper application packets may also be requested through the Office of Admissions at the addresses above.
2. Three Personal Essays
The ASIP application contains three essay questions. Answers to these questions must be typed or printed clearly and additional separate sheets of paper need to be used for each essay. Please see the application for details.
3. Transcripts from Each College and/or University Ever Attended
- Official transcripts must be sent by the issuing institution directly to the Office of Admissions at the New England College of Optometry. All transcripts must be stamped with the school stamp or seal. Please do not send copies (original or notarized) of your transcript with the application, as we only accept originals sent directly from institutions.
- If your transcripts do not include the name of the degree received, dates of attendance, and the date that the degree was awarded (month, day and year), a letter must be sent with the transcripts that includes that information.
- World Education Service Evaluation of Foreign Transcripts: Any transcript(s) from a university outside of the United States or Canada will need to be evaluated by WES. A course-by-course evaluation is required. For additional information, visit www.wes.org.
- Please send the Application for Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials to: World Education Services PO Box 745 Old Chelsea Station New York, NY 10113-0745
4. Language Testing Scores
Only one language test is required, either the Test of English as a Foreign Language Scores or the International English Language Testing System Scores. You must take one of the exams.
- Applicants whose native language is not English may take the Internet-based TOEFL test. You must take the iBT, the Internet-based version of the exam. A total score of 88, including a 22 on the speaking section, is required. Please contact the Office of Admissions for details. Please instruct the Educational Testing Service to send official score reports to NECO.
- For additional information, contact: TOEFL Services, PO Box 6151, Princeton, NJ, 08541 TOEFL
- The admissions committee reserves the right to require applicants to undergo further language testing and instruction as necessary.
- Applicants whose native language is not English may also take the IELTS exam. A minimum total score of 6.5, including a 7 on the speaking section, is required. Please contact the Office of Admissions for details. Please instruct the IELTS to send official score reports to NECO.
- For additional information, please visit the IELTS website. The admissions committee reserves the right to require applicants to undergo further language testing and instruction as necessary.
5. Optometric Practice Questionnaires
These forms must be completed for a maximum of three optometric positions that you have held since graduating from your optometric program. Please start with your most recent position. Return all completed questionnaires with your application. The form is included in the application.
6. Three Letters of Recommendation
These letters provide important insights into each candidate as a student, employee, and person. The recommendation forms are included in the ASIP application. The form should be mailed by the recommender to the Advanced Standing International Program at NECO directly, as a confidential document. The recommendation forms should be completed by other optometrists/ophthalmologists, college/optometry school faculty, or supervisors/colleagues who are familiar with your professional work.
7. Curriculum Vitae
A detailed and typed curriculum vitae should be included with your application.
Support During the Application Process
The NECO admissions staff is committed to assisting all students who express an interest in submitting an application to the College. Candidates will receive periodic updates on the state of their applications throughout the process. Please feel free to contact a member of our staff with any questions during the application process.