Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What do I need to checkout books?
- How do I find what I need in the Library?
- How do I get a specific reference question answered?
- What is kept behind the Circulation Desk?
- Why can I keep Reserve items for only 2 hours?
- Where are computers available for students' use on campus?
- How do I check out a laptop?
- Where can I use the Library's laptop?
- How do I connect my laptop/mobile device to NECO’s wireless network?
- How can I print wirelessly from my laptop?
- Where do I find the most recent year of the journals?
- What does the "RE" part of the call number mean?
- What do the little green dots on items mean?
- What do I do with reference books and journals when I am finished with them?
- Is student email available?
- Are there copiers available for students?
- What if I still can't find what I need to know?
You need a College Picture ID with a Library Barcode on the back. Borrowing privileges can be viewed at our Policies page.
Look in the Library's Online Catalog to find all books, journals, CD-ROMs, DVDs, slides, videos and other materials that the library owns. The catalog will also point you to relevant electronic resources.
For alphabetical list of the journals owned by the Library, look at the Journals list. This is a list of journals owned by the Library in print or electronically. From here, you will be able to link you to the full text of a journal when the Library is licensed to access it online.
If you have any more questions or need assistance, be sure to ask at the Circulation Desk.
If you have a question or need search assistance, come to the Circulation Desk. This Desk is staffed all hours the library is open. Faculty and students are encouraged to consult with Library staff concerning their research needs.
- Reserve materials -- Books and other items assigned by faculty for each course
- Permanent Reserve List -- Items of high use
- Required Text List -- Faculty choice of books for each course
- Laptops -- Portable PCs available for student use in the Library
- BIOS/Schematic Eyes -- Available for practicing techniques
You can see what is on Reserve at any time by looking at the Reserve Desk in the Online Catalog. There is also a printed list in a binder on the counter at the Circulation Desk.
Items are placed on Reserve because they have been assigned for a course and we anticipate high demand. Use of the item is limited so that all students have a chance to use the material. If there are no other requests for an item, you may renew the item for another 2 hours.
Reserve items can be taken overnight (up to two items per person per night). You may place your name on the overnight hold list at the Circulation Desk. One hour prior to the Library's closing you can check the item out to be returned one hour after the Library opens in the morning. These items can not be renewed, and the fine for returning them late is $2/hour.
- Marco Center - 11 PC workstations
- Library - 6 PC workstations, 10 circulating laptops
- 418 Student Lounge - 8 PC workstations
At the Circulation Desk, you will need to sign a Laptop Liability Agreement. You will also be required to leave your student ID at the desk, which you will pick up when you return the laptop.
The laptop can be used throughout the Library. Just plug it into an electrical outlet. The laptops are already set up to access the College's wireless network, although the signal works best in the downstairs sections on the Library. When you print, the default output is to the printer in the Reference Room. The laptops can not be taken out of the Library.
There are a few simple steps to getting your device hooked up:
(1) Follow this link to fill out the NECO Network Mobile Device Form http://tinyurl.com/3cm4vt8. The information recorded in this form will be sent to Annie Erdmann or a member of the IT Department.
(2) Generally within 24 hours during the work week, the information will be entered into the system.
(3) Follow the appropriate link to connect your device:
All other mobile devices (iPhones, Droids, etc.)
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Journals are shelved in two locations. The most recent issues are shelved in alphabetical order along the walls in the Main Reading Room. When you find the title you want, be sure to lift up the shelf where you will find other unbound issues for that title. Bound volumes for the older years are shelved alphabetically in the Stacks.
If uncertain whether the Library holds a journal title and whether we hold the year you need, check the online Complete Journal List. This will tell you all the information you need about the Library's journals.
RE is the part of the call number that identifies that the book is about Vision Science. This is not to be confused with Reference and Reserve, which are locations.
The green dots are on books and other items to indicate that they belong in the Reserve Section. All books with little green dots can be checked out at, and should be returned to, the Circulation Desk.
Put them on a Book Cart for the Library Staff to reshelve.
Yes, a link to web access to email is on every page of the College's Web site. If you have problems accessing your email, contact the College's IT Department.
There are two photocopiers available in Copy Room in the Library. A basic copy is 5¢, and the photocopiers will take $1 and $5 bills and U.S. coins (except pennies and dollar coins).
Please ask at the Circulation Desk for a Library staff member to assist you with your information needs.