New England Eye is the affiliated teaching clinical system of the New England College of Optometry, a professional graduate school in Boston’s Back Bay. Reporting to the Executive Director of Clinical Operations, the Practice Manager oversees the day-to-day administrative performance of the NEE-owned and operated clinical sites; oversees the relationship between patients and the front desk coordinators; ensures all providers are appropriately credentialed; regularly monitors clinical and administrative staff to ensure HIPPA compliance; creates and maintains current operating policies for the clinic; and serves as the primary contact for managing services between the College and the Clinics (ex. IT, facilities management, HR, etc.)
- Manage patient care coordinator staff to ensure exceptional customer service, optimize patient flow, and efficient scheduling of professional and administrative staff.
- Hire, orient, train, set expectations, and evaluate all patient care coordinator staff.
- Seek input from providers and optical related to patient flow and support needs.
- Ensure policies and procedures are current and understood by staff as well as enforced.
- Set expectations, provide training, monitor performance, and give regular feedback and model exemplary behavior for staff in achievement of performance goals.
- Support organizational structure that facilitates the achievement of key goals which includes creating lead positions, redistribution of work, feedback mechanisms
- Assure clinical sites are staffed appropriately
- Hold regular meetings with staff, professional staff and executive staff to hear concerns, review results, identify issues and develop action plans.
- Establish and monitor system to assure that providers are aware of patient arrival and that patients do not wait an inordinate amount of time to be seen.
- Manage provider schedules – creating and editing templates, blocking and opening schedules. Actively engage professional staff by proactively seeking information related to schedule changes, thereby anticipating and developing schedule changes based on personal schedules or academic/student schedules.
- Ensure new providers are credentialed with all insurance panels and current providers are up to date with their insurances.
- Ensures students are appropriately orientated and are informed of clinic’s administrative policies and procedures.
- Manage patient reminders, including recalls, follow-up and re-engagement and/or service recovery calls.
- Work with Revenue Cycle Manager on items related to provider staff and billing issues.
- This position may be required to visit other owned and operated sites on a regular basis (Framingham, Roslindale).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience in an eye care/medical/health care practice environment
- Experience with or understanding of importance of culturally competent care
- Solid background with customer service, including anticipating customer needs
- Organizational skills with ability to prioritize practice needs
- Background in billing and coding, with eye care background preferred
- Practice management software experience
- Ease of use with computers, with typical software experience
- Sufficient experience to effectively lead and supervise staff
- Some nights/weekends may be required.
Additional Desired Skills
- Leadership skills required to manage office staff effectively and professionally.
- Ability to adapt to changing practice patterns and organizational needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of, or ability to learn private insurance and vision plan rules and regulations
- Able to work both independently, yet also able to collaborate as a leader/member of a team
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and assign as appropriate, multiple projects
- Proactive follow-up skills, inclusive of all customers and co-workers
- Positive attitude with willingness to learn and lead by example
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter, resume and contact information for three (3) professional references to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
For more information about employment, visit Employment Opportunities.