Patient Services Representative - Billing & Referrals
The New England College of Optometry (NECO) Center for Eye Care, formerly known as New England Eye (and unrelated to Tufts), encompasses two comprehensive centers that provide primary and specialty eye care services to individuals at all stages of life. The two centers, located at Commonwealth Avenue in Boston (patient visits = 10,000 per year) and Washington Street in Roslindale (patient visits = 6000 per year) generate about $3M in net patient revenue annually. Optometrists, working closely with optometric students, provide Primary Eye Care, Cornea & Contact Lens, Vision Therapy, Pediatric Eye Care, Low Vision Rehabilitation, Consultative Ophthalmic Care, and Myopia Control Services to patients. Each practice also includes a retail optical center.
The Patient Services Representative for Billing and Referrals is a 18-hour per week (.45 FTE) position reporting to the Revenue Cycle Manager. Candidates must be self-starters who are comfortable working alone and in a team environments, and must possess a positive and professional attitude, have excellent customer service and phone skills, be comfortable with technology, be exceptionally organized and detail oriented and demonstrate strong multi-tasking, reconciliation and basic math skills. Candidates should have a general knowledge of billing and insurance referral processes, and have the patience and confidence required to resolve billing disputes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage patient responsible components of the revenue cycle.
- Manage patient collections.
- Respond to and resolve patients’ questions about billing.
- Assist patients with referral process prior to appointments.
- Performs other related duties as required including assisting as needed in clinic operations such as optical, the reception desk, records room, appointment scheduling and confirmation.
- 2-5 years specific experience related to patient services and satisfaction.
- Familiarity with medical billing/referral policies and procedures.
- Must be computer literate with a high level of experience with MS Word and Excel.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to navigate billing disputes in a respectful and thoughtful manner.
- Strong multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Solid basic math skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to be flexible with schedule
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.