Manager, Optical Services and Retail Operations
New England Eye is New England College of Optometry’s (NECO) owned and operated clinical system. Our profession’s top ODs, opticians and dedicated staff work alongside optometric students to provide world-class eye care within a state-of-the-art environment located on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston and on Washington Street in Roslindale, MA.
The Optical Center is a fast-paced, retail-oriented business providing patients and customers with comprehensive, high-quality services ranging from frame and lens selection, to fittings, to contact lenses, to edging in our on-site lab. We seek an experienced, licensed optician with a demonstrated history of success overseeing a retail optical center that includes scheduling, supervising, developing and evaluating a staff of opticians; developing a marketing strategy; and managing the multifaceted set of relationships between optometrists, opticians, optical companies and managed vision care plans.
- Managing staff opticians - hiring, training, evaluating performance, skill development, and performance management;
- Managing the lab to ensure efficiency and quality in materials production;
- Scheduling staffing levels and practices to maximize patient flow and ensure the highest degree of customer service to patients and consumers;
- Reviewing and approving all materials orders to maximize revenue, capture rate and reimbursements, and minimize loss;
- Leveraging the EHR (Compulink), online ordering protocols, and using the latest optical center technology to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness;
- Developing optical procedures and policies, and training opticians to ensure consistency in business practices across all sites;
- Evaluating and reporting on sales data and optician productivity as a retail profit center;
- Developing, continually evaluating and managing the patient/customer experience in the Optical Center, both at Commonwealth and at Roslindale;
- Working with other teams internally to promote capture rates from vision services to frame and CL orders;
- Overseeing contact lens inventory management and ordering systems;
- Working with the leadership team and Clinical Education to identify appropriate optical training opportunities for students;
- Managing and reporting on the finances of the Optical Center;
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships, in conjunction with the leadership team, with vendors and manufacturers in the ophthalmic industry, and negotiating pricing and partnerships with same to improve profitability;
- Working with leadership to develop marketing strategies for the Center;
- Administrative duties as required.
- Current Massachusetts optician license required.
- Significant experience in a supervisory role is required.
- Candidate must have experience in inventory management and controls, eyewear sales, financial management, and advanced knowledge of insurance vision plans.
- Extensive experience and understanding of all aspects related to the operation of a modern optical dispensary, including the latest advances in technology related to an optical center.
- Experience in the use of Electronic Health Records, ideally Compulink.
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
For more information about employment, visit Employment Opportunities.