Executive Director of Clinical Operations
Reporting to the Senior VP for Finance and Administration, the Executive Director will be an integral member of the New England College of Optometry (NECO)/New England Eye (NEE) Clinical Operations leadership team overseeing administrative clinical operations at three separate clinics: New England Eye/Boston, New England Eye/Roslindale, and New England Eye/Framingham. This position is responsible for quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of clinical operations and for the delivery of an exceptional patient service experience at all clinics and optical retail sites.
This is an exciting time to be part of the NECO/NEE Community as we embark upon the development of a new clinical campus that will include a state of the art vision center for primary, pediatric, specialty and low vision care services, a new optical center, and an educational and simulation training center for our optometry students. The current clinic at Commonwealth, which has been in place for over a decade and includes a thriving patient base, will be relocated into this new clinical campus.
We are looking for an experienced executive who can transform clinical operations while building a highly successful vision center. This individual must work closely with the Executive Director of Clinical Care and the Director of Clinical Education to effectively balance our educational imperative with the financial realities of delivering exceptional patient care services in a managed care system. He/she must also have demonstrated experience running a profitable optical center.
This individual must blend a highly operational and hands on day-to-day emphasis with a broader understanding of strategy, healthcare reform, financial management and patient care. He/she is responsible for developing a comprehensive quality management system for clinical operations to include establishing clear expectations for staff performance, clear delineation of accountability for tasks and processes, and consistent monitoring of work product. This position will ensure that Compulink, the clinic’s EHR, is used to its maximum capability to ensure efficient operations. This position will work with other departmental staff on issues relating to marketing the clinic and facilities management.
- Patient Care Coordination and Patient Satisfaction: Oversee Practice Manager who is responsible for hiring, training, and performance management of Patient Care Coordinators and patient scheduling at three clinics, and the Contact Lens coordinator. The practice manager is also responsible for credentialing clinicians with health care organizations.
- Revenue Cycle Management: This position oversees the Revenue Cycle Manager who is responsible for billing, A/R, A/P, insurance eligibility and data analytics. This position establishes meaningful metrics to assess, document and communicate clinical processes, patient visits, P&L of clinical sites, and physical productivity.
- Optical Services: The Executive Director oversees the Manager of the Optical department and opticians who serve the three clinics. The ED will ensure the staff is customer service focused, appropriately staffed, and efficient and effective in all operations.
- Clinical Education: This position works closely with the Executive Director of Clinical Care and our Clinical Education department which places students on clinical rotations. This position will be responsible for gathering data to develop models for analyzing the cost of clinical education in our owned and operated sites.
- Optometric Services and Patient Flow: Evaluate patient flow, OD productivity, and demand for services. Assess and optimize use of clinical facilities through ongoing assessment of lane scheduling.
- Compliance: This position will remain up to date on and will train staff on the ever-changing regulatory requirements, patient confidentiality, records management, and will ensure HIPPA training for all staff, and will conduct or arrange for other training as needed.
- Electronic Health Records: This position is responsible for ensuring the EHR is used effectively, appropriately and consistently by the ODs and that patient services are appropriately coded to ensure timely filing with insurance companies.
- Vendor Relationship Management: The Executive Director must be able to develop and maintain strong vendor relationships in the ophthalmic industry, optical industry, and other related areas.
- Financial Management: This person will collaborate with the CFO and Director of Finance in creating budgets and contracts, participating in audits and reconciling financial statements. Develop and ensure the staff adheres to policies and procedures that encourage a model of increasing revenue and streamlining costs where possible.
- OD or similar professional degree preferred but not required
- Minimum of 7 years leading a clinical practice
- Minimum of 7 years of management experience with direct oversight over medical management functions, eligibility and credentialing, EHR, patient scheduling and billing, optical services, and revenue cycle management (patient and insurance billing)
- Insurance industry experience
- Experience providing executive level leadership by example and influence with a collaborative, team-oriented, highly communicative approach
- The ability to manage and inspire people to success and development
- Excellent listening, writing and speaking skills
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively across teams to identify goals, opportunities, and challenges and to transfer these into actionable plans
- Flexibility to be able to bring deep OD clinical expertise into New England Eye
- An ability to maintain calm in an organization that is continuously stressed due to the pace of change and the inherent challenges of a clinical educational model
- Ability to arrive at practical, actionable solutions that are executable based on a commitment to a sound financial operating discipline and the organization's strategic goals
- Strong analytic, data management and process improvement capabilities. Well organized and detail oriented
- Ability to lead projects, make decisions, and get things done in collaboration with other team members in a way that will achieve the intended goals
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
The College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.