Attendance and Tardiness Policies
Students are expected to attend all classes and are required to attend all laboratory sessions, clinical assignments which include screenings, observations, clerkships and clinic, and mandatory classes, training, or meetings. Absences often require prior approval. Students should review the ‘Absence Policies and Procedures’ to see which procedure applies to them.
Students who agree to a clinical/lab switch with classmates and/or additional/volunteer clinical assignments are subject to the same attendance/absence policies and procedures.
Additional Attendance Requirements for Clinical Assignments:
- Attendance at clinic orientation each term is mandatory. A student who misses orientation may be delayed from starting his/her clinical assignment. Additional clinic time of two hours per one hour missed for orientation and/or delay in starting clinic will be added to the student’s overall minimum hours needed.
- Students are required to follow the attendance policies at the clinic to which they are assigned. A record of attendance is kept in each student’s clinical file and is available to subsequent clinical preceptors.
- Third year students in the 4 year OD program are expected to fulfill their clinical assignments throughout midterm and final exam weeks. Exams will be scheduled in the morning so that students can make afternoon clinic assignments. The last day of exam week is considered as a clinic day, including Saturdays.
- First and second year students in the 4 year OD program, first and second year students in the AODP program, and first year students in the ASIP program will not be assigned to clinical assignments during midterm and final exam weeks.
- First, second and third year students in the 4 year OD program, first and second year students in the AODP program, and first year students in the ASIP program will not have clinical assignments during Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks.
- Final year students taking clinical rotations do not follow the academic calendar. They follow the calendar at their clinical site.
Tardiness for Clinic Assignments: Punctuality is expected for all clinical assignments. The student must notify his/her assigned clinic and preceptor of unavoidable delays. Failure to do so will be considered an unauthorized absence. More than one incident of tardiness may be considered unprofessional conduct and may be brought before the Student Affairs Committee.