Absence Policies and Procedures
A student who will be missing one of the following must submit an “Absence Request Form” which can be obtained from the Academic Affairs Office:
- Clinic Assignment*
- Lab Session
- Mandatory Class, Training or Meeting
- More than three days of academic activity including regular classes
*A student, who will be missing any clinical assignment, must obtain his/her preceptor’s permission to be absent from clinic before applying for an excused absence. A second copy of the “Absence Request Form” must be given to the Clinical Education Office.
There are three types of absences:
Expected Absences which include
- Religious Observance
- Jury Duty
- National Boards
- Planned Medical Leave
- Academic Event/Meeting
A student with an expected absence needs to submit the “Absence Request Form” with appropriate documentation at least 45 days in advance to the Academic Affairs Office and to the Clinical Education Office if applicable. Not all requests for expected absences will be approved.
Unexpected Absences which include:
- Illness (ex. Flu)
- Personal/Family Emergency
A student with an unexpected absence needs to contact the Academic Affairs Office providing his/her full name, contact telephone number and a brief explanation. If a clinical assignment is being missed, the student must follow the clinic’s policy with regard to being absent. The “Absence Request Form” should be submitted to the appropriate offices with documentation preferably within three business days or as instructed by the Academic Affairs Office.
Unauthorized Absences: An unauthorized absence is considered unprofessional conduct. An unauthorized absence includes, but is not limited to:
- not following the procedures with regard to expected and/or unexpected absences
- leaving a clinic assignment without permission
- an unapproved clinic and/or lab assignment switch
- an unexcused absence
A student should review the additional information and/or a requirement listed below that applies to his/her expected or unexpected absence. A student will not be granted an excused absence because of travel plans or personal events that are in conflict with the Academic or Clinical Site Calendars. The Office of Academic Affairs will notify all parties as to whether or not the absence has been approved with regard to didactic coursework.
If a student is granted an excused absence, the student assumes all responsibility for:
- obtaining and completing missed assignments and examinations,
- switching laboratory sections, with written notification of the switch to relevant instructors,
- preferably switching clinical assignments with a classmate to insure coverage for patient care and completion of his/her own clinical requirements. A switch must also be requested via Meditrek.